RECIPE: MASCARPONE GELATO WITH MERLOT CHERRIES
- 4 Cup pitted cherries
- 2 Cup merlot
- ¼ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 387 Grams cream
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 215 Grams sugar
- 150 Grams water
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 113 Grams mascarpone
- 20 Grams vodka
- Combine cherries, merlot, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat, and cook until reduced to about 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon warm cherry sauce over gelato.
- Bring cream and vanilla to a simmer. Set aside.
- Bring sugar and water to a simmer and cook until mixture reaches 226 degrees F. Set aside.
- Over a double boiler, whisk eggs and egg yolks until light and fluffy. Remove once doubled in size. Be careful not to cook them.
- Slowly drizzle and whisk in sugar syrup into egg mixture until combined.
- Whisk in the cream mixture and then the mascarpone until thoroughly combined.
- Add vodka.
- Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 3 hours, or until completely chilled.
- When the base is chilled, freeze in an ice cream machine following the manufacturer’s directions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for several hours until firm, preferably overnight.
- Serve and enjoy!til